Saturday, October 17, 2009

Series of Unfortunate Events: Book the Seventh, The Vile Village, By Lemony Snicket

I had started reading this at the same time I was reading DragonKnight, but I put it down so I could finish DragonKnight. But since I finished it last night, I started The Vile Village again. I read the rest of it this morning. I had tried to read this a few years ago but I just couldn't get into it. At the request of a friend, I tried again, and well, he was right. I really liked it. I recommend this book and the rest of the series. The books are:

1. The Bad Beginning
2.The Reptile Room (one of my favorites)
3. The Wide Window
4. The Miserable Mill
5. The Austere Academy (another one of my favorites)
6. The Ersatz Elevator (again, a favorite of mine)
7. The Vile Village

There are 13 in all, but since these are the only ones I've read, (or listened to on tape) I'll only list these. Also, all the books are dedicated to a person named Beatrice. All the dedications are really weird and they are not suppose to be serious. But anyway, in the 7th book, I like the dedication. It says:

For Beatrice-
When we were together I felt breathless.
Now you are.

The books are about three siblings and their lives. A lot of bad (or Unfortunate) things happen to them. Their parents die and they are sent to live with a man named Count Olaf. He tries to kill them to get the fortunes that were left to them. Now, like the dedications, the books are not meant to be serious.

14 comments:

Leah said...

I LOVE THESE BOOKS!!!! I am on the last one. :)

Your background is wonderful!! I miss you and I have SO many things that I want to tell you! :) Lord willing I'll see you on Wednesday. :D

Kyle said...

Hi Those sound like good books they sound a little creepy but good. I can't listen to books on tape I can't sit still that long!

Bye Cloe!!!!

Ethan or Mr.Z said...

so you "DO" like it. hmmm...

Nikki said...

I LOVED the Lemony Snicket books! I read them years ago, and I ended up buying a few when they came out because I had to find out what had happened to the kids right away. :) I especially liked how Mr. Snicket uses words and then explains what they mean. I shall never forget the word "quagmire" as I had never heard it before. I wish I could just blurt out to you what happens in the 13th book as I was kind of surprised. Keep reading them!

Cloe said...

Leah,
you are on the last one!!!!! Yes they are soooo good. I like them.

I miss you too. But I'm glad I got to see you today. But we didn't get to talk that long!

Cloe said...

Kyle,
They are good. You would like them.
I can sit still.

Cloe said...

Ethan,
Yes Ethan. I know I put up a fight, but I was wrong, they are good. ( not as good as The Door Within but...)

Cloe said...

Nikki,
I didn't know that you had read them. Oh! tell me what happens. I can't get anyone else to tell me!
I like how he exlains all the words too.

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Those books are clever...humorous...and mysterious. I'm still trying to figure that story out, after finishing it a good while ago. I went out and bought the Beatrice letters...I'm more lost than I was before lol

Cloe said...

Nathan,
They are. I can't figure anything out. I'm reading the 8th one now. What Beatrice letters?

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Naturally there's a lot to be said about who Beatrice is. And so following Book the 13th Snicket released a collection of letters between he and Beatrice that somehow connects to the mystery of the series.

...I've give up figuring them out lol

The name of the book is "The Beatrice Letters"

Cloe said...

Nathan,
Cool! I just might have to get it.

Mr.Z or Ethan said...

your are right cloe, they are not as good as the door within but they are still good...
:) :) :) :)

Nikki said...

Personally I liked them better than The Door Within, but maybe that's because there were so many Lemony Snicket books.
Oh Cloe, I simply cannot tell you what happens in the last book. ;-) Don't you want to be surprised?? Actually, I ALWAYS skip to the end of books I am reading so I can know what happens. *he he he* ;-) Leah and Ethan are reading the last book. Maybe they'll tell you... Okay, I will say this: it didn't end happily.
I heard about The Beatrice Letters as I surscribe to an email newsletter from the author, but I was confused about the who Beatrice "thing" so I didn't read them. Sounds like EVERYONE is confused about that whole story-line.